WTFish Gaming Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game to Game

4 posters

Castlevania Series

Jarath
    Jarath

Castlevania Series Empty Castlevania Series

Post  Jarath Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:07 am

I've been a huge Castlevania fan since the GBA versions. In this topic you can share your good and not so good feelings towards the games, older or newer.
    Xokes
    Xokes

Castlevania Series Empty Re: Castlevania Series

Post  Xokes Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 am

Wee~! I also like castlevania.. One of my favourites was "Circle of the Moon".. DAMN i couldnt kill Dracula's 2nd form >_>

I've also played Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance, thou i didnt advance much..

For the NDS series, i've cleared almost everything on the one that Soma appears again XD and one that you do not use weapons, but seals WITH weapons, and the one where you use 2 chars intead of one ._.
    blueraid
    blueraid

Post  blueraid Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:00 am

tell us more abouth castlevania series-
    Jarath
    Jarath

Castlevania Series Empty Castlevania

Post  Jarath Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:37 am

I can try to put something together when I'll get motivated. I can tell about Aria of sorrow and Dawn of sorrow (GBA and DS) and Curse of darkness (PS2)
    I think Xokes and Just can provide some info as well.
    Xokes
    Xokes

Post  Xokes Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:05 am

sure, i'll galdly provide any info that i can remember of XD
    Justniin
    Justniin

Post  Justniin Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Actually, I haven't played that many Castlevanias... I've played Castlevania 1 and 3 for NES, Super Castlevania IV for SNES, Symphony of the Night for PSX and Aria of Sorrow for GBA.

The first one is the most basic, and pretty much all other Castlevanias have its aspects: sidescroller, basic weapon is short range (a whip in this case), you can acquire throwable weapons which can be upgraded, using them uses up hearts.

As a side note, Castlevania II: Simon's quest has an open world, but is very confusing and annoying, so much so that AVGN reviewed it (it was among his first ones, second I think).

Castlevania III features alternative routes and new playable characters, eg. a thief that can wall climb and a vampire hunter that can use magic. You always have Trevor, you can acquire companions throughout the game, but you can only have one companion at a time. During stages you can switch between Trevor and his companion at will. Altough you'd most likely play as Trevor all the time anyway, and it's still your basic Castlevania.

Castlevania IV doesn't have alternative routes or characters, but you can strike your whip in any direction. It may not sound like much, but the way they've done it is pretty interesting; you can also swing the whip around after striking.

Castlevania 64 for N64 was the first 3D Castlevania. To sum it up: Castlevania doesn't work in 3D.

Symphony of the Night tried something which failed miserably the last time; It's a sidescroller RPG with an open world. This time was a success. Alucard gains XP and money for slaying monsters, and can find or buy new equipment for himself. I don't remember what the ability system is like as I haven't played this one that much.

Aria of Sorrow is very similar to SotN, an open world sidescrolling RPG etc.. Even the castle has many similarities. Soma gains new abilities by collecting souls from monsters. Alucard looks very, very different, which is probably the biggest difference to SotN o.O

Man, I'd really like to play SotN right now, but I can't. Well, back to playing GC.

Edit because some text shifted for some reason.
    Jarath
    Jarath

Post  Jarath Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 pm

You haven't played many but still you've played more than we have. What does that make us have played? Very small amount.

Some add ons:
    Castlevania: Dawn of sorrow for NDS is a sequel for Aria of sorrow. Soma's attacks are much smoother and weapons we're slow or fast depending on the weapon (Not like in Aria of sorrow where pretty much every weapon was as fast) and the game has very nice anime style scenes. Soma can still use variety of weapons and which are both this time upgradeable.

Castlevania: Curse of darkness for PS2 really gave me a new hope for 2d games turned 3d. Protagonist is Hector, a devil forgemaster who abandoned dracula and tried to destroy his old devil forgemaster friend Isaac. Once again good variety of weapons but this time you can actually combo the attacks which was a very big change to other Castlevania games I've played. You also get Innocent Devils which you can command from fairy type's healings to golem type's destructive attacks.
    Gameplay feels little slow from time to time but I really liked the way they made weapons really act for their size. For example rapiers and small swords are really quick when katanas (which are really big in this game) and great axes sure are slow. After you beat the game you can also play as Trevor Belmont. I haven't tried that version much but he has the "Vampire slayer" whip and the basic "heart items" that are familiar from the older Castlevanias. As for me I say this is a great 2d to 3d change for a game series (First one that's actually good IMO)
    Jarath
    Jarath

Post  Jarath Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm

And after that novel (sorry for double posting)
    I'll make all these into a bigger post. I'll try to get some pics from the games so you'll get a little understanding of them (something like Atonica made for RE5 and COD). Also some very basic info from the Castlevania.
    Thank you and good night!

Oh yeah one more sidenote: Trevor was in 3rd Castlevania too? Damn! I gotta find some more info about the Belmonth family tree...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm